University Glen, a residential community of single-family homes, townhomes, and apartments, is situated on state land of the California State University Channel Islands (“CI”) less than eight miles from the charming, historic town center of Camarillo.

University Glen was originally conceived and intended to attract talented faculty and staff to work at CSU Channel Islands (opened in 2002), University Glen is now home to faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, military personnel from two regional stations, educational partners from Ventura County and, beginning in 2008, the general public.

It is rare that all the elements and diversity comes together so beautifully to create such an ideal living and educational environment. From the distinctive architecture, rolling hills, ocean breezes to the unparalleled setting and serenity of the campus-adjacent setting, we welcome you to University Glen.

Table of Contents

General FAQs

What is the history of the University Glen Community?

The University Glen Community was created California State University Channel Islands Site Authority (SA) was formed to foster redevelopment of the former Camarillo State Hospital as it was shuttered and transferred to the California State University (CSU) for the purpose of opening the Channel Islands (CI) campus.

The state has delegated local governmental authority to the Site Authority for the East Campus Development Area of the campus. The Site Authority serves as the local governmental agency for this area in all land use and development matters.

In addition, the Site Authority supports university-related commercial and residential uses that provide revenue to support the University’s development and provides a beneficial use to what would otherwise be abandoned and deteriorating facilities and a blighted area. The Site Authority originally developed a 900 unit residential community (for sale and rental units) and a town center with 30,000 square feet of retail space. To date, 658 of the 900 units have been completed.

What authority does Site Authority have?

Site Authority operations, management and decision making occurred in Long Beach by staff of the Chancellor’s Office (CO). During the first part of 2011, CO staff decided to transition day to day operation of the Site Authority to the CI campus. This transition was effective July 2011.

What is the governing document for University Glen?

University Glen is governed by the Ground Sublease, California State University Channel Islands Site Authority.

This is the present updated version of the Ground Sublease. Ground Sublease CSUCI Site Authority

How did the rentals and sales of homes in University Glen begin?

The rental process was outsourced to a third party property management firm in 2002 while home sales were overseen directly by University Glen Corporation staff. The Site Authority, since it had no staff, delegated day to day operation to the University Glen Corporation. By mid-2007 the Site Authority discontinued the agreement with the third party property management firm. The staff of that firm elected to remain with the University Glen Corporation, and the transition was seamless. From 2007 to 2016, University Glen Corporation oversaw both the rental and sales functions. In 2016 the University Glen Corporation became University Auxiliary Services. Today, University Auxiliary Services, on behalf of Site Authority oversees the sales and resales of 72 single family homes and 200 townhomes. The rental program of 358 Apartments and the Town Center were sold to developer Kennedy Wilson in August, 2016.

Is there a Home Owners Association (HOA) in University Glen?

In the traditional sense, the short answer is no. Because the community was built on land owned by the state and homeowners have signed a Ground Sublease, we do not have a homeowners’ association. However, there is a Homeowners Advisory Council. This group meets regularly, Council members are elected by the community, and they provide important feedback and guidance on issues of concern in the community. The Common Area Maintenance fees paid, by all members of the community, are managed by UGCAM (Kennedy Wilson Properties) through an independent contract, and serve as a liaison between the residents of the community, the CSU Channel Islands campus and the Site Authority.

What is the parking enforcement policy for University Glen?

  • Vehicular parking is enforced in University Glen at all times, 7-days a week.
  • Each homeowner is issued up to two numbered resident parking passes and two numbered guest parking passes.  Replacement resident/guest parking passes are available through the UGCAM office.  There is a charge of $25.00 for each replacement parking pass.
  • Temporary parking passes are available at the UGCAM office weekdays during business hours.  Over the weekends, temporary parking passes are available at the Mission Hills leasing office during business hours (9:00 AM to 6:00 PM).
  • Please report all lost or stolen resident parking passes to the UGCAM office immediately.
  • Contact the UGCAM Office, if you have any questions about parking passes.

Is there an organizational chart for UGCAM?


What kind of wildlife are found at University Glen?

The following links will provide you with further educational information and tips for Coexisting with Wildlife in University Glen.

Mountain Lion;




What is being done to control the mosquitoes in the University Glen area?

You can learn more about the mosquitoes present in University Glen and local efforts to control them on the CSUCI Environmental Health and Safety page.

Does University Glen have a Community Garden available to residents?

Yes. The Community Garden is located in the Park at the intersection of Anacapa Island Drive and Channel Islands Drive. To secure a Community Garden Plot, please fill out the Registration and Application form below and submit to the UGCAM office, 805-702-4038.

Community Garden Registration and Application Form

Where can I find the transportation and circulation study for the new 32-acre development?

Section 4.10 of the CSUCI Specific Reuse Plan Amendment.


Homes Sales FAQs

Who are the participants?

The land for University Glen was ground leased for 99 years by the California State University to a government agency formed solely for this purpose (“Site Authority”), which is the developer of the project.  The state has delegated local governmental authority to the Site Authority for the East Campus Development Area of the campus.  The Site Authority serves as the local governmental agency for this area in all land use and development matters.

Why was the Site Authority (“SA”) created?

SA was created pursuant to the California State University Channel Islands Site Development Act of 1998 (California Statutes Chapter 861) in order to implement a faculty and staff ownership housing Program at CSUCI, to provide faculty and staff housing and to financially support the reuse of the Camarillo State Hospital Site into the CSUCI campus.  The primary objectives of the Program are promoting and assisting the educational purposes and strengthening the educational programs of CSUCI by establishing a diverse residential community at CSUCI, by creating continually affordable housing for employees of CSUCI, and by assisting in the recruitment, retention, productivity and participation in activities at CSUCI of employees of CSUCI.

Will I be purchasing the land as well as the home?

No.  The Site Authority will retain title to all of the land. You will own the improvements, and you will enter into a long-term ground lease with Site Authority to occupy the land, which extends until October 1, 2096.

What is the maximum mortgage loan amount that I can obtain to buy a unit?

The Sales Staff is available to meet with you to discuss lending options.  A list of Community Approved Lenders is available for your convenience.

Assuming that I can afford to purchase a home with my household’s gross annual income, can the amount of my current debt or past credit problems interfere with my ability to purchase a home?

Yes.  However, the Sales Staff will provide a list of Community Approved mortgage lenders in order to assist the purchaser in obtaining the best financing available.

Who is eligible to purchase a home in University Glen?

Anyone may purchase a home at University Glen so long as they intend to and do occupy it as their principal residence.  Eligibility to purchase as a Qualified Buyer is based on priority per the terms of the Ground Sublease.  Proof of priority is required to purchase.

Priority categories, per the Ground Sublease, of persons eligible to purchase in University Glen and the order of priority in being chosen to do so are as follows:

Category 1: CSU employees commencing service during the summer or fall of 2002 selected by the CSUCI President to be a priority purchaser, or the CSUCI President for the purpose of assigning the Purchase Contract to CSUCI employees who are hired after the sales program commences for service at CSUCI commencing in the summer or fall of 2002.
Category 2: Tenured and Tenure-Track Faculty and CSUCI Management Level III Personnel or Management Level IV Personnel.
Category 3: Full-Time Staff of CSUCI.
Category 4: Employees of Educational Allies, Educational Partners, and officers of Military Partners, who are covered by an agreement between such entities and CSUCI.
Category 5: Tenured and Tenure-Track Faculty and Full-Time Staff of any other CSU campus.
Category 6: Graduates from any CSU campus.
Category 7: Members of the General Public.

Are we required to use a community approved lender?

No.  However, using a lender that is familiar with the Ground Sublease is strongly encouraged.  The Ground Sublease contains resale restrictions which may/may not be in compliance with certain lender guidelines.  Therefore, the Buyer should properly vet any potential lender, as any delay in closing may be subject to a late closing charge or parties electing to cancel the escrow or otherwise.  A list of Community Approved Lenders is available for your convenience.

Can I own a house outside of University Glen as well as a home in University Glen?

Yes, so long as your University Glen home is your “primary residence”.  Whether or not the home is used as the owner’s primary residence (in the case of an owner using more than one property as a residence) depends on the facts and circumstances.  If an owner alternates between two properties, using each as a residence for successive periods of time, the property used as such a majority of the time during the year will be considered the owner’s principal residence.  Evidence of such residency may be required, including but not limited to proof of where regular bills are mailed to.

When will my tax payments be due?

Real property taxes and assessments will be due twice a year to the County Tax Collector – on April 10 and December 10.  Most mortgagees will require that 1/12th of your annual tax payment be paid each month, to be held in escrow until such time as the tax payment is due.  Please consult with a professional for further information and clarification.

How much will my property taxes cost?

Your property taxes will equal approximately 2% of the value of your home. Half of this amount (or 1% of your home’s value) is paid on the same basis as all other property in the county.  This portion of the taxes can be increased by the County Tax Assessor by up to two percent (2%) every year.  The other portion of your property tax payment is a special tax against all homes in University Glen to cover the cost of the infrastructure that supports the community.  This special tax has been calculated to cover the life of the bonds and will increase two percent (2%) every year.  Please consult with a tax professional for further information and clarification regarding property taxes.

Will there be a Homeowners’ Association (“HOA”)?

No, there will not be an HOA, as that term is generally applied. Rather, the SA will be charged with: maintaining common area landscaping, streets, utilities, and recreational amenities; the routine exterior maintenance of the attached units; providing potable and irrigation water; and contracting for a trash collection service. It will also enforce the Community Regulations that will control the use and occupancy of the common areas and all homes in University Glen.

There is a Homeowners’ Advisory Council comprised of 5 homeowner members elected annually.  The council meets monthly with management to discuss items of importance to the homeowners. Date and times are posted on the University Glen website.

Will I pay community fees, and how much will they be?

Yes, you will be charged monthly fees to help cover the costs including, but not limited to, the common area maintenance, water and trash collection.  A budget, showing the amount that each homeowner will be required to pay, is available at the Sales office.  The fee amount will not vary depending upon the size of the house or lot, but will differ with the type of house.  For example, the monthly fees will be somewhat higher for an attached unit (for which the SA will provide routine exterior maintenance) than for a detached unit (which must be maintained entirely by the owner).

What are my maintenance responsibilities?

Owners of detached units are responsible for all maintenance, repair and replacement (no matter the cause, such as fire, earthquake, wind, rain, etc.), inside and outside.  Owners of attached units are responsible for all maintenance, repairs and replacements inside the unit (including all electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems); all maintenance, replacement and repairs (no matter the cause) to the structural components, the roof and the exterior will be done by the SA with possible Additional Rent assessed to the Homeowner based on the Homeowner’s Pro Rata Share.

Will I be responsible for the upkeep of the landscaping?

It will be maintained by the Site Authority, except for the landscaping within the front yards, side yards or patio areas that are separated from the common area by walls or hedges (the “Courtyards”), which will be the responsibility of the homeowner.

May I add to or change the landscaping on my lot?

Any alterations or additions to the landscaping in the Courtyards, which will be visible when mature from the street or any other unit (such as trees), will require the pre-approval of the Site Authority.  No other landscaping may be modified by any homeowner.  If you intend to make alterations or additions, you may contact the University Glen CAM Manager.

Which utilities are metered?

Meters for electricity and gas are installed.  As a homeowner you will contact The Gas Company and electrical company to set up service.  Each homeowner will be billed directly by the utility for these services on a monthly basis.  Each homeowner will be responsible for arranging for the installation of and paying for cable TV, telephone and internet services.

Is the home subject to any warranties?

No. But, you may consider purchasing, at your cost, a supplemental home protection plan available from various companies.

Who will carry insurance on the home and the community’s common areas?

Homeowners are responsible for carrying their own liability insurance. Owners of detached units are responsible to carry casualty insurance, which may include earthquake coverage in your sole discretion. The Site Authority will maintain similar insurance (but not earthquake insurance) on the attached units and common areas.

May I make additions or alterations to my unit?

Architectural guidelines are established to set forth the general policies regarding allowable additions and alterations.  Any addition or alteration that will be apparent from outside your unit requires the pre-approval of the Site Authority.  Some of these additions or alterations may constitute Approved Capital Improvements, which will entitle the owner to recover the appraised value of them upon resale (see below for further details).
Costs for third party contractors and vendors for clean-up and repairs to make units saleable within 90 days prior to sale, also add to the Maximum Resale Price. Such costs incurred after a purchase do not add to the Maximum Resale Price.

May I rent the house to someone else, or hold the unit as an investment?

No, the home must be your principal residence. You may, however, rent out your unit when you are away on a University-recognized and approved sabbatical or leave, for up to one (1) year.

May I allow someone who is not a co-owner to occupy a room in the house?

This is permitted whether they pay rent or not, so long as the home remains your principal residence.

May I convert the garage into a bedroom?

No. You may not convert the garage into a bedroom.

Will I be allowed to keep pets in my unit?

Yes, but the Community Regulations require that pets be leashed when they are outside your home or Courtyard, and that they not create a nuisance to neighbors due to noise or otherwise.  Further, homeowners must license with the County all pets that are required to be so licensed according to the County’s regulations. All pets must be registered with the Site Authority.  The forms will be available at the University Glen CAM Manager’s office.

Will there be an RV/trailer/boat storage area on site? Where can I keep them?

RV’s, trailers, and boats may not be kept on site in any area visible to others in the community.  However, such items may be stored in your garage (but not in a driveway), as long as they completely fit inside.  If the item is too large to fully fit within the home’s garage, the resident must make his/her own arrangements for storage off site.

Will I be allowed to keep a firearm in my home, if it is registered and held in a gun safe?

No, firearms are not permitted anywhere on the CSUCI campus.  Homeowners are not permitted to keep firearms in their homes (except such homeowners who are sworn and employed currently as police officers by any government agency), or to discharge firearms anywhere in University Glen or on any part of the CSUCI campus.

What is the maximum allowable price for which I can sell my home in University Glen?

On resale, the maximum resale price allowed (the “Maximum Resale Price”) equals the initial purchase price plus the increase in the Consumer Price Index (“CPI”) from the date of acquisition, plus the amount that any Approved Capital Improvements (see below) that you have added have increased the fair market value of the home, as determined by appraisal at the time of resale, plus fix-up costs, if applicable.

If you are a current homeowner, once you decide to sell your home you will contact the Sales office for your Maximum Resale Price.  See below for the step-by-step process.

What is considered an Approved Capital Improvement?

A list of Approved Capital Improvements is available from the SA Sales office for your review.  If you are a current homeowner, please refer to Exhibit B of your Ground Sublease.  Prior to determining whether to install any such additional upgrades not includible in the calculation of the Maximum Resale Price, homeowner is cautioned to review carefully the limitation of the Ground Sublease on homeowner’s ability to recoup such investment.

Can the resale price be lower than the Maximum Resale Price?

Yes, this is possible, as real estate values may increase slower than the CPI, or even decrease from one year to another.  For example, the actual resale price of each unit can be the lesser of (a) the Maximum Resale Price, or (b) the negotiated sale price, if the unit is sold to an eligible purchaser, or (c) the appraised value.

Can I require the buyer to pay my sale costs, such as brokers, escrow, title insurance, transfer fee, etc.?

Additional consideration is prohibited.  Homeowner may not charge or receive any compensation of any nature in excess of the Maximum Resale Price for the assignment of the Sublease and sale of the Unit and any such attempted sale or assignment on such basis will be voidable and of no force or effect.  SA may require certification from the Qualified Buyer and other reasonable documentation to confirm that no consideration is being paid in excess of the Purchase Price reported to SA as a condition of consenting to the transfer.

If I voluntarily decide to sell, what is the process for doing so?

  • If you decide to sell, Site Authority must be notified in writing by letter of intent to sell (email will suffice).
  • SA will prepare the Maximum Resale Price (“MRP”) within 48-72 business hours of request.
  • If you want to request an increase in the MRP of your home resulting from the installation of Approved Capital Improvements, you will need to make an appointment with and retain one of the SA approved appraisers provided by the Sales office.  Only those Approved Capital Improvements installed since you have owned your home can be appraised and qualify to increase the MRP.  Adding Capital Improvements does not typically enhance value on a dollar for dollar basis with cost.  The value enhancement may be more or less than actual cost.  Receipts for work completed to the unit will need to be provided to the Capital Improvement appraiser to determine the extent that Approved Capital Improvements enhanced the value of the unit.
  • Once the appraisal is completed and received/reviewed by the SA, the Maximum Resale Price will be re-calculated including such Improvements.
  • The Ground Subleases all reserve to the SA the first right of refusal to purchase any unit at resale.
  • You may list your home at MRP with your sales agent after notice is provided to the SA Sales office and SA does not exercise its first right (30-day term).
  • No sale can exceed the Maximum Resale Price.  Your real estate agent or consultant should contact the SA Sales office to make certain that they are familiar with and adhere to the resale restrictions.
  • You may place a for-sale sign in the window of your home.  You may use a small flyer box outside of your residence for flyers.
  • Priority categories, per the Ground Sublease, of persons eligible to purchase in University Glen and the order of priority in being chosen to do must be followed – see above for Priority Categories.  Proof of priority is required from all buyers.
  • All contracts of sale must be approved by the SA prior to opening escrow.
  • A one percent (1%) Transfer Fee is payable to the Site Authority at the time of closing in consideration for consenting to the Sublease assignment plus an administrative fee to administer that transfer – $750.00. These fees are not commission-based fees to SA but rather contractual obligations agreed to at Seller’s purchase.  Therefore, these fees must be paid by Seller and Buyer cannot pay as compensation any portion thereof.

Do we need to use a real estate agent or can the Site Authority assist in this purchase?

As with any home outside of the community, representation is not required. However, you must follow the laws of California when selling your home.

Resales of single family homes and townhomes are between the individual buyer and seller, though the Site Authority maintains an oversight interest in each transaction to ensure that the sale conforms with the underlying terms of the ground sublease.

Therefore, the SA is not involved in the transaction between Buyer and Seller aside from making certain that the resale restrictions are adhered to per the Ground Sublease and facilitating those aspects of the sale that pertain to SA.  With that said, Buyer and Seller are strongly encouraged to seek the advice of a real estate professional or legal representative in all transactions.  On resale the Site Authority cannot act as a broker, attorney, agent, advisor or in any other capacity for Buyer or Seller.

The sale of real estate in California is a complicated process with many legal requirements that must be followed, including, without limitation, use of a written contract, certain seller disclosures and limitations on damages.  Site Authority recommends that each of Buyer and Seller seek the advice of real estate professionals (e.g., licensed broker, licensed attorney, etc.) to assist you in your transaction.  Site Authority is not responsible for advising Buyer or Seller in ANY respect relating to the sale of the home.  Further, Site Authority is not a party to any home purchase contract between Buyer and Seller, and Site Authority is not a “seller”, as the term is commonly understood.  The role of Site Authority is merely to facilitate those aspects of the transaction that involve Site Authority in its role as Sublessor under the Existing Lease and other aspects specific to the University Glen community.

Consultants will be compensated directly by Buyer or Seller, as the case may be, pursuant to separate agreement between each party and their consultants

All contracts of sale must be approved by the SA prior to opening escrow.

When I sell, will I be required to share the appreciation on my unit?

The appreciation on your house equals the amount by which the sale price (less closing costs) exceeds the sum of (a) the amount you bought it for, plus (b) the cost of any Capital Improvements you added to it.  You are entitled to keep all appreciation earned.

When can I learn more about the housing units that are available?

The Site Authority Housing is available to answer your questions. The University Glen Sales Office is located at One University Drive, Camarillo, CA 93012.

Please contact the University Glen Sales Office at (805) 437-8425 or

You should obtain AND READ COMPLETELY the Buyer Disclosure Statement and Ground Sublease which details all the terms of sale, resale and ownership.



Faculty Staff Rental Discount FAQs

Who is eligible to rent an apartment in University Glen under the Faculty Staff 100 Program?

All CSU Channel Islands faculty, professional staff and full time auxiliary employees are eligible to rent under the CI Faculty Staff 100 Program.

What are the benefits of the Faculty Staff 100 Program?

  • Rental rates are set at a minimum of five percent below market rate
  • No credit check required upon application
  • No application fee

How do I prove my eligibility to participate in this program?

Upon application, and again at lease renewal, you must provide a current CSU Channel Islands or University Auxiliary Services pay statement, or letter of appointment provided by the University or auxiliary.

What happens if my employment with the University ends before my lease expires?

You are required to report your change of employment status with the University or auxiliary to the Mission Hills Apartments.  CSU Channel Islands Site Authority has the option to terminate your lease with notice or allow you to remain in the unit with a rent adjustment to market rate.  In any case, until exercised you must adhere to your current lease agreement.  You would refer to your termination rights outlined in the lease agreement if you choose to vacate the unit early prior to your lease expiration date.

What if I have a roommate who is not on my lease and/or not affiliated with the University, and I choose to move out, but they wish to remain in the apartment?

Mission Hills Apartments, in guidance with the Site Authority, will work with you and your roommate through the notice and application process to either assume the lease on the apartment at market rate, transfer to a non-faculty/staff apartment, or to vacate.

Who do I contact for more information?

For more information, please contact the Mission Hills Apartments at 805-465-0249, visit their office in the Town Center, or go to the Mission Hills Apartment website at